Path 176 · St Oswald’s

Richard SHIPPEY was born in Filey and baptised at the Ebenezer, which had opened about a year earlier. He married Grace Ellen SHIPPEY in Bridlington in 1900. Grace has a substantial pedigree on the Shared Tree.

Schoolmaster Francis Albert TURNER married Margaret Harriet WHITE on 16 July 1866 and just over a year later the couple returned to St Oswald’s to christen Maria Louise. A blue hint offers the names of Marie’s grandfathers, James Turner and Thomas White – but what happened to this little nuclear family? A quick look at my Filey Census spreadsheet shows they had left town before the 1871 census enumerator knocked on their door. A sister for Marie arrived in 1871. The birth was registered in Chesterfield but Sybil Harriet was baptised at St Mary’s in Scarborough. In 1891 the census catches the sisters visiting the BOWDEN family in Little Hayfield, Derbyshire and in 1901 they share a house in Barkers Road, Sheffield with two elderly maiden aunts, Emily and Susan White. Marie, a “morning governess” heads the household and Sybil is just a governess. Sybil married in 1903 and Marie found a husband the following year.

About thirty miles separated William GIBSON and Jessie WILKINSON at birth and they may not have strayed far from the Pickering/Thirsk area in their lifetimes. But for some reason, they chose to marry in Filey St Oswald’s Church.

Christopher FOSTER, gentleman, was fifty years old when he married Elisabeth SMITH in Filey St Oswald’s Church. Elisabeth must have been much younger because a stone plaque in the church records the deaths of three children.

John: died 2 November 1787, aged 23

Elizabeth and Frances: died in their minority.

FamilySearch has generated another Christopher Foster from the record of an earlier Filey marriage. Could Susanna PIPER be the first wife of “our” Christopher?

1911 Baxter F112 Kerb

‘At Peace’

MARK BAXTER 1866 – 1934

MARY BAXTER his wife 1870 – 1940

Dog 36 · Max

Muston Sands

Thomas Richard first saw light in Kimberley, South Africa but he somehow made his way to Filey. He is the CAIRNCROSS  of Cairncross and Sons, a gent’s outfitters in Belle Vue Street, transformed by eldest son George into –

An amazing store with a surprise behind every flag. Uniforms from around the world mix with metal plaques, belt buckles, Boer war helmets, gas masks, sweetheart pins, replica shells. The unusual mixed with the unmentionable makes this a store well worth visiting – if only to say that you have visited it.

Gray Spencer, reviewer on Yell.com , 15 April 20013.

George keeps the shop going. You can catch a glimpse of his interesting past here.

Skelton, a fisherman, took the byname “Kelly” – for a reason that may now be lost. He married Ann JENKINSON, had three daughters with her and lived to celebrate his eightieth birthday.

Mark, known familiarly as “‘awd Marky Baxter”, was another fisherman who dodged the waves. He matched “Kelly” in longevity and number of daughters but his wife Ann also gave him three sons. Ann’s family name, WILLIAMSON, was handed down to at least two male Baxter descendants.

Sarah married fisherman John CAMMISH. He went by “Peter Jack” to avoid local confusion with another John Cammish (two years his junior). He easily beat the odds against survival at sea and reached the age of ninety-five. Sarah was not so fortunate. Greengrocery is not a dangerous trade but she was only 54 when she died. FG&C and FamilySearch are in agreement that she only had one child, Robert “Chorus” Cammish. (*Why “Chorus”?) When the Crimlisk Survey of churchyard monuments was undertaken the couple’s memorial was described as being “badly eroded”. It has fallen since then and looks like this –

Ann WARD also married a CAMMISH – in 1871 after the census had been taken. In 1881 she is a widow, living in Church Street with her two surviving daughters. Ten years later, still in Church Street, she is alone, without occupation. Two years later she has departed this life. I have not been able to find out what happened to George. He was a sailor and perhaps disappeared beneath the waves of a distant sea. However, he appears to have been resurrected on the Shared Tree. Among his nine sources are a 1901 Census and a 1912 death registration. Helpfully, he is listed in a couple of censuses with a curiously named brother, Sailor Robert. This enables the identification of restored-to-life George as blind (or nearly blind) from birth and a single man.